You can deploy Micro Edge as a virtual machine in VMware ESXi. This deployment method uses a pre-configured virtual machine disk (VMDK).
Step 1. Download the virtual machine disk and descriptor file
- Log into ETM Dashboard and choose Get Started > Software Downloads.
- Select Micro Edge and choose the most recent version.
- Download both files under the heading VMDK (VMware Image).
Step 2. Upload the virtual machine disk to the ESXi datastore
- In the VMware ESXi management console, navigate to the Datastore browser.
- Select your preferred directory or create a new directory to contain the virtual machine.
- Click Upload and select either of the two Micro Edge VMDK files.
- After uploading the first file, repeat this step to upload the other VMKD file. Note that the Datastore browser may consolidate both files and display only a single file.
Step 3. Create a new virtual machine
- In the VMware ESXi management console, navigate to Virtual Machines and click Create / Register VM.
- On step one of the wizard, choose Create a new virtual machine.
- On step two:
- Specify a name (e.g. arista-micro-edge).
- For Compatibility, use the default value (e.g. ESXi 6.5 virtual machine).
- For Guest OS family, select Linux.
- For Guest OS version, select Other Linux (64-bit).
- On step three, choose the storage device where you want to save the virtual machine.
- On step four:
- Remove the CD/DVD Drive and Hard disk devices.
- Remove the hard disk.
- Specify a number of CPUs and Memory (minimum 512 MB).
- Click Add hard disk → Existing hard disk and browse the datastore to the Micro Edge virtual disk file.
- Click to expand the new hard disk and change the Virtual Device Node or Controller Location to IDE controller 1 as Master.
- Choose Disk Mode Independent - Persistent.
- Click Add network adapter.
- Confirm that both network adapters connect at power on and use the E1000 adapter type.
- Confirm that the first listed adapter connects to your LAN switch/internal network. The second listed adapter should connect to your WAN switch/internet connection.
- On the final step, review your settings and click Finish.
- Select your new virtual machine and click Power on.
Step 4. Access the virtual machine
- After you create the virtual machine, click Power on to launch the Micro Edge system.
- Click Console → Open in browser console.
- Allow approximately one minute for the system to boot, then click in to the virtual machine to access the system.
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard to access the login prompt.
- At the login prompt, enter the login root and the password passwd.
- Type cat /etc/config/uid to obtain the UID of the system. Make a note of this UID for the next step.
- Log into your ETM Dashboard account and add the appliance.
- Alternatively, you can access the web administration from a management system attached to the LAN side of your Micro Edge virtual machine.
Have more questions? Submit a request