The sections below show details of the changes made in major and minor releases of Micro Edge.
Note that this document only includes release notes for versions of Micro Edge which are available for download from ETM Dashboard. As older versions of the software are removed, so will the relevant release notes.
Note: Micro Edge will automatically upgrade to new versions if Automatic Upgrades are turned on, which is the recommended setting. Otherwise, upgrades can be performed from ETM Dashboard or through the local web administration. See Upgrading your Micro Edge for more details.
Micro Edge 5.0
Micro Edge 5.0 improves network management with enhanced application control and event reporting.
Application Control - Administrators can now view the full list of available applications with descriptions and categories. Filtering selected applications on the network is now available with the simplicity of a checkbox, and you can configure rules to exclude specific traffic from classification.
Events - Micro Edge generates a variety of important system, security, and other status related events and sends these events to your ETM Dashboard account. You can view the events and generate notifications in the Alerts screen.
Status Analyzers - You can manage the IP address targets used on WAN interfaces to determine link performance and availability in order to fine-tune your WAN and VPN tunnel status determination.
Web Interface - A new navigation menu and updates to rule lists and rule editing to improve readability.
Network Discovery - You can manually initiate a network scan rather than waiting for the next interval.
- DNS - IPv6 DNS hosts were not allowed by the UI.
- IPsec - multiple fixes to UI and routing behavior.
- Sessions - Filtering by server interface column was not functional.
- Dashboard - WAN Routing and Network Layout widgets were not automatically refreshing.
- WireGuard - Allowed IPs were not editable.
- Backups - Backup import generated an error when importing cloud backup files downloaded from ETM Dashboard.
- WAN Policies using the "Specific WAN" option will not fail over to other rules if the selected WAN is determined as offline.
Micro Edge 4.3
Micro Edge 4.3 adds features to improve network management and secure connectivity.
Geo-IP Filtering - Admins can block incoming and outgoing traffic based on the country of the remote IPv4 address. Multiple reports are available to view blocked traffic. See Geo-IP filtering.
Device Discovery and Visibility - Admins can enable device discovery services including LLDP, NMAP, and Neighbor Discovery to search the network for connected devices. See device discovery and visibility,
DHCP Relay - For enterprises with distributed networks, admins can centrally manage IP assignment by forwarding requests to a remote DHCP server. See DHCP relay.
- Deleting a virtual interface used as an interface zone condition in rules prevents rules pages from loading.
- Disabling WiFi on e3w appliance in setup wizard caused a communication error.
- Creating a VLAN with a duplicate ID caused a blank page.
- WAN interfaces now require at least one DNS server.
- Added more validation to specific rule types that could render some rules ineffective.
- Renaming the appliance hostname generates false error when connected from the local network.
Micro Edge 4.2
Note that there is no 4.1 release version. Micro Edge will update directly from 4.0 to 4.2.
Micro Edge 4.2 adds IPsec tunnels for site to site connectivity with other IPsec gateways. IPsec in Micro Edge uses IKEv2 and supports features such as full tunnel routing and WAN failover. See Configuring IPsec VPN tunnels in Micro Edge for more details.
German and Japanese language support - Admins can switch languages from the web administration. This release adds support for German and Japanese languages.
Micro Edge for European ETM Dashboard - Admins in Europe and other regions outside of North America may choose to deploy a separate version of Micro Edge that connects to the Edge Threat Management Dashboard located in Germany. See Setting up your ETM Dashboard account (Europe) for more details.
Arista branding - Micro Edge 4.2 web administration removes Untangle branding and styling and updates colors, fonts, logos and other branding items to match Arista brand guidelines.
Operating System update - Micro Edge 4.2 operating system is upgraded to OpenWrt release 21.02.
The Linksys build is no longer available for Micro Edge as of this release.
For e3 appliances, interfaces will receive new MAC addresses. This may affect some internet connections and a reboot of the upstream modem device may be necessary to restore connectivity.
Micro Edge 4.0
Micro Edge version 4 is a major release that features enhanced security via Web Filtering. Web Filter is powered by Webroot BrightCloud®, which is a cloud based service that classifies URLs in real-time. Web Filter blocks web sites associated with spyware, malware, proxies, phishing, and other types of harmful content. Other improvements to this release include the ability to backup and restore configuration, add static routes for local networks, and general performance optimizations.
Static Routes - Admins can add routes for local networks that reside behind other routers on the local network. This is an important feature for admins who manage segmented networks at branch locations.
Configuration backup and restore - Admins can backup and restore the complete configuration. During the restore, admins can choose to exclude the admin account credentials or networking configuration in case they prefer to merge those parts of the backup configuration with the current configuration.
Automatic configuration backup - The appliance configuration is now backed up nightly. These automated backups can be viewed or recovered from ETM Dashboard in the Cloud Backups area of the Appliances screen.
Performance - Multiple components related to the classification of applications and processing of session information were refactored to improve performance and stability.
- Added QoS column back to the Sessions view so admins can see the priority of each session. This column was inadvertently removed as part of the UI refactoring in the previous release. Note that QoS must be enabled on the outgoing WAN interface for a value to be applied.
- Improved the accuracy of Threat Prevention. Outgoing lookups now use a different attribute of the reputation result to align with the results returned by the BrightCloud online lookup tool.
- The WiFi channel selector was listing unsupported channels which could cause misconfiguration. The WiFi channel list now shows only supported channels.
- Removed “is not” operator from rule conditions relating to Applications and Certificates. This operator was not functional and not feasible to implement for those condition types.
- Support link in about page was pointing to the forums. It now points to the support page.
- DNS Server warning message was a debug event but still reported to log output. This caused excessive log events. The event containing “WARN rests: DNS Server: …” is no longer reported.
- Typographic error in Threat Prevention report. The top blocked count now correctly reports the values as “Count”. The column was incorrectly labeled “Addresses”.
- Deleting conditions from rules with multiple conditions was showing the wrong condition as removed in the rule preview.
- Fixed an issue causing Micro Edge appliances to be unable to connect to ETM Dashboard. This required an updated trivial release version, v4.0.1, which contains an updated certificate and no other changes.
Important note about the upgrade:Follow