ETM Dashboard enables you to automatically backup configuration data from appliances connected to your account.
After an appliance performs at least one backup to ETM Dashboard, you can use the backup file as a Configuration Template, or you can restore it to the source appliance or any other appliance connected to this account.
This functionality requires the Configuration Backup app for NG Firewall.
This feature operates automatically in Micro Edge: no special settings or configurations are required.
Notes regarding restoring backups
A backup file can only be restored to the same version it was drawn from or one version newer. For example, an NG Firewall backup taken on 16.5 can be restored to 16.5 or 16.6. A backup taken on Micro Edge 4.2 can be restored to 4.2 or 4.3.
Backup files are not "backwards compatible", meaning that a backup file cannot be used on an older version of the software than the one it was taken on. For example, NG Firewall 16.5 cannot be restored to an NG Firewall running version 16.4 or older.
NG Firewall backups can only be restored to NG Firewall. Micro Edge backups can only be restored to Micro Edge.
Restoring a configuration backup to the source appliance
This option is used when you wish to restore an appliance using its own backup config settings.
- Go to the Appliances heading along the left-hand side of the page and select the Appliances tab.
- Select the appliance from the appliances list.
- Find the Cloud Backups Widget.
- Select a backup file by date and click Restore Backup.
- Click Yes to confirm.
Restoring a backup to a different appliance
This option is useful when upgrading or replacing hardware or after a reinstall of the appliance.
It can also be used to push common configurations that you would like shared amongst multiple appliances.
- Go to the Appliances heading along the left-hand side of the page and select the Backups tab.
- Select the backup configuration you would like to restore. The UID and Label columns identify the NG Firewall these settings were taken from.
- Click the Restore Backup button.
- The Restore Backup menu opens, displaying all eligible NG Firewall appliances in your account. Select one or more appliances to push the config to and click Restore Backup.
- A confirmation menu opens, displaying the backup file you have chosen and the appliances you will restore to. Verify your selections and click Confirm Restore to initiate the backup.
Creating a backup file manually
Click the Create Backup button in the Cloud Backups widget on the Appliances page to force an immediate backup of the selected appliance.
Downloading a backup file
You can download a copy of the backup settings file to your local computer in two ways:
- From the Cloud Backups widget on the Appliances page, click the link in the Name column.
- From the Backups page, click the Download button at the right-hand side of the page.